Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why start another blog? I’ve seen so many blogs recently on topics ranging from politics to what someone’s doing while they are unemployed to a blog actually on anti-blogging. The one thing I note often when reading these blogs is that the author has no expertise on what they are writing, or at least often they don’t tell the reader what their expertise is.
I find for me the best blogs are written on the topic of exercise, specifically running for me. They are written by all levels of runners but they all give good advice and are very motivating. These people to me are experts because they are doing it. They are out of the road or on the treadmill training for their next race or just trying to get or stay in shape.
I have often read from runner’s that running is mostly psychological. I agree with this wholeheartedly. I am training for my 1st half-marathon currently and the psychological aspect is what gets in the way for me more than the physical. And here is where the expertise comes in, I’m a psychiatrist. Many people think of psychiatrists as those who prescribe medication, but psychiatrists are trained to do therapy with their patients as well. Some choose not to use this aspect of their training but I find it to be the most enjoyable and the most challenging part of treatment. I often use techniques that I use on patients on myself while running to change my frame of mind, challenge my negative thinking, and motivate myself to keep going.
I hope to give you a glimpse of some of the techniques I use, and if one person finds this helpful or motivating to them to reach their goals then I have accomplished the purpose of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment